Thursday, March 20, 2008

Korea Town Foodie Adventures #1

Feeling the urge to eat something spicy, I decided to head to Korea Town. One of my favorite places to eat is the trendy and fun Caffe Village. Introduced by a friend, I go here to enjoy big portions of my favorite casual Asian foods. They serve specialty sushi rolls, udon, jjajjangmyun (black bean noodle), donkatsu and other fusion Asian dishes. But my favorite at Caffe Village is their mega ddukpokki (spicy rice cake) and sesame chicken.

Unlike the more traditional street food, Caffe Village's mega ddukpokki has
udon noodles, mozzarella cheese, and sausage. You might be intimidated by this combo, but trust me, once you try it, you'll fall in love. The cheese counters the spiciness and creates a perfect and very filling dish. The sesame chicken is also very tasty. Quickly fried in a light batter, these chicken pieces are perfectly paired with a sesame dipping sauce. YUM!

But I wasn't done with Korea Town just yet. I wanted bingsoo (korean shaved ice) from Ice Kiss for dessert. This joint is where K-towners go to cool down, chat, play board games and enjoy the shaved ice treat. They offer the choice of coffee, green tea, red bean or fruit toppings and ice cream. I opted for pat bingsoo (red bean shaved ice), my favorite. The mix of fruit syrup, red bean, mochi, fruit, strawberry ice cream, and ice was perfect to cool down my taste buds. Although Ice Kiss isn't the cleanest of Korea Town, its definitely worth the try.

No comments: